Sunday, February 20, 2011

45 number two


I really liked this song when it first came out in 1982 on the Day and Night album. I am not sure it holds up well after all these years. I remember the first time I heard Joe Jackson on WONY, the Oneonta State radio station. It must have been "Is She Really Going Out With Him' or "Sunday Papers." I thought it sounded like an Elvis Costello rip off. But I liked Elvis, so I liked Joe too, and he proved to be his own guy, putting out many great and diverse records. I have recently been listening to more of the power pop, rather than his slower, jazzier or ballad type songs. One song I over looked the first time around was "Got the Time" from the Look Sharp album ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlaAG2XmKUo ). It is really neat. If you have the album, dig it out and loudly listen to that one. Many great songs on that debut album. I also always dug "I'm the Man" and "Kinda Kute" from his sophomore effort I'm the Man album. In 91 he had a song called "It's All Too Much," from the Laughter & Lust album. It's a song I really related to about too many choices in the world. I like Wegmans, but man it's a bit too much sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. The scientists say that of all the gold in California, only 10% has been taken out of the ground. Perhaps this is analogous to Pop Music as well. As time and tastes change, perhaps what might have once been "overlooked" could be a hit once again, or at least be liked again, by the listener.

    I remember Joe Jackson, and it is fun to relisten to the old stuff that was once forgotten. Watching "America's Funniest Videos" the other night, a montage of clips were played, set to the tune "Me and the Boys" by Dave Edmunds. I had forgotten that song, and forgetten that I liked that song. Funny huh?

    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and the Boys?? An NRBQ song!
    - Dan

    ReplyDelete