Thursday, February 24, 2011

45 Number Six


Not your usual Dire Straits' suspect. This comes from the "Twisting by the Pool" EP, and although there are no letters on the label, I am sure it is the B side to "Industrial Disease." But I tend to be comfortable on the flip side
, and was thrilled when I found this song. It has a jazzy, swinging guitar, with Knopfler, in his best slightly cockney English accent, providing the dialogue of a fan/groupie meeting his favourite band backstage. The whole thing is spoken rather than sung.

I always think of my friend Geoff when I hear this. Geoff is a big Knopfler fan, but more importantly, it's the part that goes like this (OK get your English accents ready);

" Me and my mate like AC/DC, hot and sweaty, loud and greasy
, .... Can I have one of them lagers? .... Can he have one?.... Got any badges, posters, stickers or t-shirts?"

No comments:

Post a Comment