Saturday, February 19, 2011

45 number one

My family has started a project, or perhaps a challenge. Each of us is doing something one hundred times in one hundred days. I have chosen to open one of my many boxes of 45s (you know, the rectangular or square ones, with the handle on top, and the gold clasp on the front) and randomly select a record to play each day. Most of these have come from garage sales and thrift shops, and have been played rarely. Why do I keep them? Because someday I'll need to play a hundred of them.

Record # 1
This was the first Robert Palmer song I ever heard. I remember a friend of my brother back in the spring of 1979 telling me how great Robert was, and that he had collaborated with the members of the band Little Feat. I searched out his early albums and bought them all up. I really liked the songs "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley" and "Some Guys Have All the Luck" (which gave Rod the Mod a minor hit), and later his version of "I Dream of Wires." Eventually Robert gave us "Addicted to Love" and it's famous MTV visual. I think that is when I stopped paying attention to him.

1 comment:

  1. Tina Turner - Johnny & Mary - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUFAgV1mzCM

    -- Dan

    ReplyDelete