Sunday, March 20, 2011

45 Number Twenty-Eight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdEHFBupgIk

In 1976 my buddy Ozark (not his real name) and I raked leaves in my back yard so we could earn some money to see Billy Joel play in the SUNY Oneonta gym. At least that is how I remember it. My memory has Billy playing solo; only him and the piano, but don't hold me to it. I always think of this as my first concert. The link above is from that same time period; a 1976 NYC show. 1970s Billy Joel was good stuff. Turnstiles was my favourite Joel record. Billy Joel was also a common bond my wife and I had when we first met. My nephew Sean once won Billy Joel concert tickets on a radio contest. This must have been early 90s. He had to name as many Billy Joel songs as he could. He missed one. Some song Billy did on a Disney soundtrack. That was good enough for the win. Now a days I count the Billy Joel references in Fountains of Wayne songs. Give a listen, they must be fans.


No comments:

Post a Comment