Sunday, March 6, 2011

45 Number Fifteen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAmop1sSi3I&feature=related

This is John Fogerty's first post CCR project from back in 72 or 73. I believe there were no Rangers, just John. John covered a number of great country standards on the Blue Ridge Rangers album. Listening to it now it seems to fit right in with the current roots music scene. It reminds me that many musicians were doing "Americana" music way before the Grammy category, which I believe has only existed for a couple of years.

One of the songs on that album was "I Ain't Never," http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhjkO8lDE8s which was co-written by Mel Tillis. I went to school with Mel's daughter Cindy. I can remember listening to this song one day, but I think it was the cover by Dave Edmunds. Cindy was there, and she says "Oh that's daddy's song." I grabbed the album, looked at the label, and damned if she wasn't right (as though she would be wrong about a song her father wrote). Made me think about how snobbish I can be about music. I always thought of Mel as the country star stuttering on Carson. He has written some really good songs. Anyway, now there are only 3 degrees of separation between me and Edmunds. I know Cindy, whose father is Mel, who wrote the song that Dave recorded. That's how it works, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment