Tuesday, March 22, 2011

45 Number Thirty



The Box Tops included their legendary front man Alex Chilton, who went on to power pop fame in the band Big Star. Big Star has been critically acclaimed, and was a huge influence on many bands such as The Replacements, who immortalized Alex Chilton in song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RYQ8Y-ObMw . Big Star is one of those bands I feel like I should like, but they just don't click with me. There are several bands/artist like that. I read about them. Hear my rockin' roll heroes rave about them. I run out and get some of their music, and then, nothin'. It doesn't grab me at all. This is how it was with Tom Waits, Ani Defranco, Van Morrison, and even Wilco (easy Dan). These are artists that should be right up my alley. I don't detest them like say Steely Dan or Phil Collins. I kind of feel bad I don't get them, like maybe I should listen again. But nope, it's just not happen. So I go back to the Box Tops for my Alex Chilton, and "Cry Like a Baby" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJQ4288J7A&feature=related .

No comments:

Post a Comment