Thursday, April 7, 2011

45 Number Forty-Six



I love the vibe of this band. I remember when I first heard their music it was so unlike anything I had ever heard. I wasn't sure what to make of it. It was kind of artsy, which was not my pop music. I often didn't know what they were singing about. But with such a tight groove, soul grabbing rhythms, and quirky lyrics, I had no choice but to go with it.

On 10-10-83, in a gym at George Washington University, I witnessed an unforgettable performance. I remember we were standing around at show time looking at an empty stage, and wondering what the hell was going on. Had the band been a no-show? Was there going to be a delay? Then the lights go out, and David Byrne walks out with a boom box and acoustic guitar. He turns on the boom box and the rhythm starts. He straps on the guitar and begins to strike the strings. He delivers a version of Psycho Killer that is killer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pCZ5E5tn4I , check it out, still killer).

Then with each new song a new element or band member is added to the stage. Right before our eyes the the show was constructed. It was amazing. We talked about it for months. Then within a year the movie Stopping Making Sense came out, and we realized what we had witnessed. The beginnings of what would become their live performance masterpiece. I believe the movie was filmed in LA, some months after the show I saw.

My ticket for that show had been a "frontstage" pass sticker that they gave out to the student helpers. I don't even remember how I got it, as I was no helper. But I wore it on the butt pocket of my jeans. When I got home I cut the pocket of my pants, and hung the whole thing on my wall. I still have it to this day. Here it is scanned in for you.

Stop Making Sense is famous for another reason as well. Early in our relationship, my wife and I scooted out of dinner party early to go see it at a theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment