Friday, June 24, 2011

45 Number Ninety-Seven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNW9q6tk43c

This is the B side. The benefit of being so crazy about an artist that you dig either side of them. Jackson was my first rockin' roll crush (definition below). I sang his songs for hours. Every song on the record. Not just a couple of them. When I have seen Jackson, it is has always been different than other shows. I have often felt it was what some people must feel when they are really moved in their church service. I hang on every word of every song, and get chills. I thought I was over it, but I got to tell you I felt it all again when I clicked on the above video from 1974 of just him and David Lindley performing the song. Over the years I have found that it isn't Jackson that I feel that strong connection to. It was at a John Prine Show that I most recently had a near church experience.

Rockin' Roll Crush- An intense feeling of connection to the music of a particular artist. You listen to not just the one or two hits on the album (or no hits as the case might be), but to every track. Over and over. Singing away. More than merely a fan, you obsess to own all recorded material from the artist. You write down the set list (or take right off the stage) of the multiple shows you have attended. You hang out behind the venue until the wee hours of the morning, just to say, "Hey." You love to turn the uninformed on to the greatness you have recognized. It is a true a sickness, that others often politely tolerate.

My other rockin' roll crushes;
NRBQ, Neil Young, T-Bone Burnett, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds,
Ian Hunter, Marshall Crenshaw, John Hiatt, Warren Zevon, Jonathan Richman,
John Prine,Todd Snider,
and most recently The Avett Brothers and Rhett Miller (Old 97s).

Wait one more; Dar Williams.

No comments:

Post a Comment