Friday, June 17, 2011

45 Number Ninety-Five


Hello. After a forced computer hiatus, lets try to bring this baby home.


Don't you love the label on this one. Tears, stickers, DJ notes; this has been a well played 45. The first link above is to Roy in 1965. I love just looking at him. The hair, the glasses. I love that geek/rocker look. The second link is to the late 80s Orbison and Friends movie "Black and White Night." What a line up: Roy joined by Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, Tom Waits, T-Bone Burnett, and others (see photo on post of 45 number 56). The old rocker resurrected by the new old rockers. It's sad but it took this kind of thing to move me into the back catalogues of guys like Roy, and get beyond "Pretty Woman." I am thankful that artists I grew up with have linked me to their inspirations like Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Williams, and Johnny Cash. Again, not just "Maybe Baby" and "Johnny B. Goode," but "You're So Square, Baby I Don't Care" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MNMG_5flWc and "Around and Around" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5q7OTyKCRw . By the way, I have been hearing great new interpretations of Buddy Holly songs on a new collection called "Rave On, Buddy Holly." Look at the artists on this track list:
01 The Black Keys: "Dearest" 02 Fiona Apple and Jon Brion: "Every Day" 03 Paul McCartney: "It's So Easy" 04 Florence and the Machine: "Not Fade Away" 05 Cee-Lo: "(You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care" 06 Karen Elson: "Crying, Waiting, Hoping" 07 Julian Casablancas: "Rave On" 08 Jenny O.: "I'm Gonna Love You Too" 09 Justin Townes Earle: "Maybe Baby" 10 She & Him: "Oh Boy" 11 Nick Lowe: "Changing All Those Changes" 12 Patti Smith: "Words of Love" 13 My Morning Jacket: "True Love Ways" 14 Modest Mouse: "That'll Be the Day" 15 Kid Rock: "Well... All Right" 16 Detroit Cobras: "Heartbeat" 17 Lou Reed: "Peggy Sue" 18 John Doe: "Peggy Sue Got Married" 19 Graham Nash: "Raining in My Heart"

I liked Roy's Traveling Wilburys stuff, although I am generally not a fan of Jeff Lynne's productions (e.g. Edmund's Information album).
As you know, Dirty World http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKj4MOKrkSI is a favourite of mine. (Go listen to it this time.) I think my favourite Orbison song is "Ooby Dooby" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ijEWj2xmg.

No comments:

Post a Comment