Sunday, May 22, 2011

45 Number Eighty-Nine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q7KXWzA2fQ

The Beatles. I knew it would come to this. So yeah, I am not a big Beatles fan. When you say that to people they usually smile and think it is some kind of joke. I mean, to speak ill of the Beatles offends most everyone, from the casual music listener to the most dedicated musician. My intent is not to offend. It's not even to malign the talent of the Beatles. (Even if Paul is a wanker for giving us "Silly Love Songs" and "Let 'Em In." No, I won't post the links.) The fact is, they have recorded incredible pop songs, and are the most influential pop rock band ever. But my irritation is in hearing the songs over and over and hearing the accolades over and over, particularly from those casual music listeners. It is as if you have to praise the Beatles if you like music even a little. And you have to like their entire collection. So my aversion to the Beatles, I guess, is more social than musical. But then I think many of you knew that, didn't you?
(Editor's Note: I think Kevin's music appreciation is more social than musical.)
Link

4 comments:

  1. I've been trying to avoid and keep in perspective the canonization of everything the Beatles recorded, regardless of merit - at the same time I am of a mind to call Let It Be (which was not beloved by the fans in 1970) a roots-rock gem. That's even WITH the Phil Spector production on some tracks. (except 'Long and Winding Road' ... Paul again) - Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our house, we had only some of the singles, and we didn't like everything - couldn't care less about "Michelle" or "Yesterday" for instance (which were the ones the “old people” could accept). Marty was the record "album" buyer (before it was cool to buy albums), and he & his friends were more into the Stones & the Animals by then (from ‘65 on, as young teens). I didn't hear a Beatle album until Waldo came over one day with the White Album (I was maybe 10). By then it was "old beatles vs later beatles", and nobody cared about the earlier stuff anymore. We were into ROCK.

    On the single, however:
    Interesting, this must be valuable. There were some releases in the US on smaller labels before Capitol, and this is one of them. The first Capitol single was "I wanna hold your hand"/ "I saw her standing there", Dec 1963 (after Kennedy got shot), & the one everybody remembers. I was four years old, and the youngest of five. My dad bought it for us kids and we all went upstairs to my sisters' room to listen to it on our "record player" (my first conscious memory - possibly why I play guitar). It's hard to describe if you didn't experience it - something about that guitar sound, man, when the song opens, and all the way through it, that was just so visceral that it just went right through you (it was like nothing you ever heard before - I still feel it today whenever I hear the song), and the sound was so exciting. And then, "I saw her standing there" on the other side...
    Listen to "she loves you" with this in mind - how exuberant and exciting the sound was - and all of this right after Kennedy got shot.

    As far as all of the "canonization" - of course that's all bullshit. We listened to so much different music in our house - a helluva lotta "Motown" & soul as well as rock'n'roll - that the Beatles were only part of it, but when they first hit though, and opened that door for all the others to follow, man.... - the other Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: I disagree with the editor's note. Kevin's music appreciation IS musical, as he loves music, has good tastes, a good ear and can sing. The Beatle aversion is more social, in the same way as my aversion to anything commercial. Commercial music, even if it's good, gets overplayed, and then becomes nauseating. (Ex: F-Mac's Rumours was good until it became big.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm ... what is the 'Swan' label? That could be a collector's item! - the first Dan

    ReplyDelete